Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Complaints

What is this? A normal post? Yayemy!

EE students have certain requirements to graduate. All undergrads are required to take three classes (215, 233, 235) for a total of 14 credits. They are then supposed to choose one of the 14 different concentrations. My concentration, embedded systems, required 271, 331, 332, 471, 472, and 478 for a total of 30 credits. That right there is 44 credits. EE's are also required to have at least 58 total EE credits, two of which can come from seminars. Finally, we are required to have a total of 68 engineering credits; 58 are EE and the other 10 can come from any other engineering department.

So if you count the 44 that I need for embedded, I need 14 more EE credits. That comes from 341 (5), 436 (4), and 476 (5). So I'm at 58. I also took two 1-credit seminars to put me at 60. Finally, I took AA 210 and MSE 170 at four credits each to put me exactly at 68.


Time to complain.

One of those 1-credit seminars was actually graded; we had to write weekly responses and also a final paper. That class sucked. Also sucking was MSE 170. I hate this class so much that I stopped going to it in the beginning of February. I only went to labs. These two classes total 5 credits.


When I signed up for Winter Quarter, I had planned that my Spring Quarter would only have EE 478 and two easy classes. I didn't care which ones. Midway through the quarter, when I registered, I realized that I should probably take EE 351 and make myself more well-rounded. 351 is 5 credits. Had I known I was going to take 351 in the Spring, I could have completely avoided taking MSE 170 and EE 398 and avoid two of my least favorite classes at UW. And you know what's worse? Instead of taking those two classes, I could have taken Astronomy 150, which I've wanted to take since coming to UW, but never got a chance to.



Sigh. Back to studying for 170. Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment